Sunday 11 January 2015

Pronunciation #1



 Learning a new language doesn’t only involve to acquire new vocabulary and different grammar structures. Pronunciation is a very important part of a language that you should focus on when trying to learn it. English is spoken in so many countries all over the world and therefore there are a lot of different ways of pronouncing certain words. To avoid misunderstandings between people a correct pronunciation is necessary. 
 

I’ve lived in London for over a year which was a great opportunity for me to improve my vocabulary as well as to observe how certain words are pronounced correctly.  Overall I studied English for more than ten years so I feel quite confident when I talk to native speakers but in order to speak a language perfectly one day, correct pronunciation is required.


Since I already lived in a few different regions of the UK I had the chance to hear many different accents which was quite interesting. I really like a normal British accent, one that doesn’t sound too exaggerated or too posh.  For me it felt like the further up North you go, the harder it is to understand what they are saying.  Since I’ve lived in the UK, the British accents sounds more familiar to me than the American, but I don’t want to aim for any accent actually. My goal is just to sound naturally because I feel that it sounds weird when I’m trying to put on an American or British accent. That is just not me. I want to speak correctly and fluently but for that I don’t necessarily need to have an English accent. The only thing I really don’t want to have is that embarrassing German accent, so many German speaking people have, but thankfully I’m not one of them. At least most of the time ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment